Thursday, December 18, 2014

Patience

As many of you know, I have two daughters and one son. Jason is 5 and he has autism. The autism spectrum is huge. On the scale, Jason would fall on the mild end and would be considered high functioning. Another term that most people are familiar with is Aspergers. I used to watch Parenthood and I saw glimpses of Jason in Max, the boy on the show with Aspergers. Jason is brilliant. He's a joy and a treasure. But it's not always easy and I have been dealing with a lot of emotions surrounding this lately. One emotion I'm feeling is guilt because I am dreading the Christmas holidays with no school for Jason to escape to. I find he has such difficult days at home. He loves school. He hates being home. It hurts. And I'm scared these holidays will be full of tantrums and meltdowns, tears and shouting matches.

Here is a poem I wrote two nights ago.



He's a gift. Jason has taught me so much. And daily he teaches me patience. And daily I pray for that patience.

1 comment:

Jon and Renae Deleeuw said...

I saw the link to your blog from One Christian Dad.

I love how you typed up your poem, and it is so beautifully written. God has given us the children He has, and it's awesome how you can see God answering your prayer for patience in the gift of a child.